Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Sunny Days

Just a few days past the official start of Spring, and jealous winter has decided to teach us a lesson. What do we get? A bad argument of snow, wind and grey skies.  What do I want? Warmth and sunny skies of course. Well even if I can't have it from my window, I will make my own destination vacation right here. I've decided to post some images from a past visit to the Royal Botanical Gardens in Burlington, Ontario when the winds were warm and the grass was green...












                                                               my daughter feeding the birds...



                                                            my son watching the water skating bugs...






I realize I'm not the only one trying to harness the sun.. check out how Danish Architects Bjarke Ingels Group have won a competition to masterplan a new gateway to Stockholm at the intersection of two motorways.


  The project seems to have 'eclipsed' Stockholm's Skyline with what I can only say looks like a second sun, but is actually a floating mirrored sphere... 30% of that sphere’s surface is covered with Photovoltaic film that faces the sun and produces enough energy to keep it floating while supplying 235 houses in the neighborhood with electricity!



The gateway is a connection to several neighborhoods within Stockholm and the self sustaining floating sphere will create a 180 degree view of the area for the drivers on their way in or out of the city...

They have also designed parkland with foot paths along the gateway to shopping centers a hammam and a mosque...

No comments:

Post a Comment